The village Zell was first mentioned in 1195. The name originates from a hermitage that was probably built around the beginning of the 11th century.
Houses and estates were built around this hermitage, a small church was errected and thus a parish was founded. In 1429, the place was renamed Innernzell and today it is a rural community with approximately 1700 inhabitants.
Innernzell lies in close proximity to the 1016 m high Brotjacklriegel mountain. ´There is a wonderful lookout tower with a view over the entire Bavarian Forest. 300 m south of the village start the large forests of the Aschensteiner Wald, the Brotjackelriegel area and Sonnenwald. There are lovely walks on desolate forest trails through unpoilt nature.
Cross-country ski runs in winter, bowling for groups and families, a library, tennis, indoor and outdoor pools in the surroundings and a beautiful pond.